Under the artistic direction of Alee Reed, the Dancing Classrooms Youth Dance Company was created in 2006 in response to the demand for performances by “the kids from the movie ‘Mad Hot Ballroom.’” Dancing Classrooms is the subject of that critically acclaimed documentary film, and the inspiration for the feature film, “Take the Lead,” starring Antonio Banderas as founder, Pierre Dulaine.
Every child in the Youth Dance Company was introduced to ballroom dancing through Dancing Classrooms, the arts-in-education program that brings social awareness, etiquette and civility to children through ballroom dancing in the New York City public schools. After completing the Dancing Classrooms residency in their schools, the children were invited to continue their dance training through the DC Academy weekend program, from which all company members were auditioned.
The Youth Dance Company provides our most dedicated and promising Academy students the opportunity to build upon their social dancing skills–dancing for mutual enjoyment with a partner–and transfer those skills into the art of performance–dancing for the enjoyment and enrichment of an audience.
Past performances have included the Kennedy Center’s 35th Anniversary Gala, Madison Square Garden, Lincoln Center, PBS and The Today Show. Recent press includes CBS's "The Insider" and the March 2008 issue of Vogue.
For booking information, call 212-244-9442 or click here.
YDC Spring and Summer Performance Season
- May 9 (11:45am-Noon) LC Kids Spring Fling - Lincoln Center, Josie Robertson Plaza
- May 16 DCA Dance Festival - Riverside Church
- June 28 "Mad Hot Ballroom" Reunion - United Palace Auditorium
- July 11 (2:30pm -4:00pm) LC Kids Dance, Midsummer Night Swing - Lincoln Center Damrosch Park
- August 1 (12:00pm-12:30pm) Summer Streets - Park Avenue and 51st Street
- August 28 (6:15pm - 7:00pm) Jacobs Pillow Festival, Inside/Out Series - Becket, Massachusetts